Sunday, June 1, 2008

Last chemo...for a while


Friday was the last full blown chemo. Hard to believe that over the last twenty weeks I have had 16 treatments. I am so happy to be done but to tell you the truth, it doesn't feel any different. My guess is that on Friday when I don't have to go, then it will hit me. I am still feeling the fatigue and soreness that I feel every week after chemo but my spirits are higher because I know it will be the last time.

I had an appointment with the oncologist on Friday prior to my treatment. She is supportive of surgery on June 24th- the concern there was that she may want me to wait longer to increase my blood count. After I start radiation in July (I need to call and set that up tomorrow) then I can go back and start the Herceptin-only chemo. The nurses say that the treatment only lasts about an hour. So it will be a breeze compared to what I have been doing. So now I have 3 weeks prior to surgery to start feeling like myself again. The oncologist said that I should not focus on losing weight until after the surgery...I am not sure if I mentioned that I am in a wedding in two weeks- not going to be the cutest bridesmaid ever...the oncologist also mentioned in about 3 months when my hair is back, I will really start feeling myself. She forecast that by Christmas, I will feel like my old self. So basically between now and then, I will go through times when I am feeling back about myself. During those times, I will complain to my friends and loved ones and they will continue to support me. For that, I am super grateful. But the thing that I will miss the most about chemo being done is the 4 hours that Wes and I got to spend together. Some days we laughed and talked, others we watched patients and were grateful that I was doing as well as I was, and during others I slept and he read. He is the best husband anyone can hope for and I am grateful that he loves me.

Tomorrow, an update on Alexandra and carrots...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAAAAAAAY MICHELE! This is so great, and things sounds very optimistic. And you and Wes should still go spend four hours together sitting and talking or people watching. Only now you can do it outside of the hospital and you can take Alexandra with you!

skitzo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That's so exciting Michelle! In a few months you will be back to your old self...just in time for your birthday :)

Jana, Mark, Megan and Joey said...

Cute picture of the two of you. We are so so so happy that everything has gone so well.

And being a cute bridesmaid only matters when your single!