Sunday, June 22, 2008

A day in the life


Everyone in the household is recovering from the day care cold. Alexandra is sleeping better (only awake for two hours last night) and Wes is trying to take it easy. This taking it easy was helped by a severe allergic reaction yesterday to who knows what. He became red, had trouble breathing, then became super pale, then was sick, and finally had severe chills. The worst part was we were at a birthday party for Riley. Not good. So Wes is heading to the doctor tomorrow to try and figure this thing out.

So I continue to be the healthiest one in the house- seriously who would have thought. Hopefully this strong body carries me through surgery on Tuesday. I wanted to share some of the little things you might like to know about chemo:
There are some obviously bad things- Nausea and Hair loss- but there are also really annoying things. One of those is felt during chemo- the hair loss includes the hair in your nose. Now it took me a while to realize that my runny nose was not due to allergies but to the chemo. When I say runny, I mean runny. Like I would stand up and need a tissue stat! So it has been really annoying. But that seems to have gotten better, what is not getting better is my achy bones. The chemo weakens your bones and women are more susceptible to osteoporosis after chemo but man, when I stand up I really ache. So I am feeling a bit old in that regard. One of the little known benefits of chemo however, make me feel like a teenager. During chemo, the skin really dries out and you really have low hormones. This leads to chemo complexion. No zits or blemishes!! Since I have stopped the chemo, I have more zits than I can remember having since my teenage years. They are deep, painful, and all over my face. Oh joy. At the end of the day, I am hoping that Tuesday's surgery will show this has all been worth it to confirm I am cancer free.

1 comment:

Jana, Mark, Megan and Joey said...

Weird how certain hair falls out but other hair stays, eyebrows??? We will be thinking about you on Tuesday and crossing our fingers for a completly cancer free result!

Plus we hope that Wes and Alex will feel better soon.