Sunday, July 27, 2008

What is radiation evaluation and simulation?

On Thursday, I went in for my evaluation and simulation with my radiologist- Dr. Narayan. He is extremely thorough in his explanation of the process as well as making sure I know everything that he knows. I mean this guy is talking about my surgery results and wanted to make sure I understood how good it was. He is really nice. Anyway, so I knew that this appointment would be roughly an hour and a half...and it was. I met with the radiologist and we talked about the surgery, the radiation- how it would only be in the breast and not in the lymph nodes, side effects- fatigue and skin irritation, and paperwork. The paperwork was just signing that I understood the side effects that were likely and then those that were not as likely but still possible. These are all caused by exposure from the radiation and include fracturing of my ribs, future possibility of lung cancer, and breast cancer.

After the discussion with him, I am introduced to the therapist that perform the simulation. Basically this is the pre-work to my future radiation appointments. They first ask me to put my arm above my head while I lay on what I can only describe as shiny pillowcase. Once I was comfortable the therapist blows up the pillowcase and it only expands where it doesn't have pressure from my body- that creates the shell. Pretty cool. Then they give me as CT scan so that they can figure out the angle of radiation- blah, blah- doctor stuff. Okay, so I am feeling good....had my arm above my head for about 30 minutes at this point with my boob just out there for everyone to see...and then they come over and say that they are going to give me my tattoos. Yeah, tattoos. For those that know me, I have never been a fan of tattoos. I could never wrap my head around having something permanent on my skin that I would think was equally cool when I am seventy years old. Well, now I have 4 tattoos. Wes calls them my prison tatts because basically the chick squirted some ink dye on my skin and poked a needle into the skin to make 4 black dots. I have two on my sides, one under my right armpit and one right in the middle of my chest-between my breasts. It didn't hurt at all- maybe my pain tolerance has grown through this year- but I am not a fan of having these things for the rest of my life. Really it is only the one on my chest that bugs me because I can see it. Robin saw it the other day and thought that it was dirt...not dirt, just my tattoo.

All that said, the radiation starts on August 5th. I think August will be a good month but then the fatigue will begin. The doctor said that women who have gone through chemo feel the fatigue sooner than those that have not. I have been exhausted by the time Friday rolls around from working so we will see how I survive....good thing I can have coffee!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you have tattoos - you are so cool!! :)