Thursday, July 10, 2008

No stone left unturned...

I consider myself a man of simple tastes. I like a good burger, a good scotch, and occasionally a bad reality television program (seriously, have you watched Flipping Out?). My only expectation from life is that it stop kneeing me in the gnads, every once in a while, long enough that I can have a laugh. I'm easy. I don't even mind changing diapers... but...

It was nap time for Alex this afternoon so I threw her in the crib. White noise on, blinds closed, Mr. Frog and binky in place... check, check, check. I usually let her play for a little while and then go back in to let her know it is time to get serious about napping, somehow this actually seems to work. I go in and she is on her belly playing so I roll her over... sweet mother of all that's holy!

I've seen my share of blowouts in the last six months. The leg blowout sorta creeps out past the elastic band and gets on the clothes (think hair net over bad jheri curl). The back blowout oozes up and out of the diaper to schmeer up the spine (think bad, brown Jackson Pollack). I can handle it. But as I roll my beautiful child over I see a new one... the out the front, soak the entire onesie, brown/orange stain on the bedding, wet oval of fecal destruction blowout. Poop on the bed people. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Luckily Michele was home and we teamed up. Strip baby. Strip bed. Jump in shower with baby. Go to happy place. Start laundry. Restart nap. Wash hands in bleach. All while resisting the temptation to take pictures and share it with all of you.

The things you do when you're a parent...

2 comments:

carmen zoraida said...

An you are only starting me little ones. There is much more to come and amazingly enough we parents forget it all and only remember how much we love you. You will be seasoned in no time.

Jana, Mark, Megan and Joey said...

I feel for you guys. We had a similar mishaps but in a car seat in a zoo parking lot. And Carmen is right, we will forget about all these gross things but that is only because they will be replaced with other gross things! Lucky for them all it takes is a smile and will do anything for our babies.