Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Alexandra is thriving!


Well at least that is what the doctor said at her 4 month checkup yesterday. We did the standard measurements and here are her stats:

Height: 25.75 inches

Weight: 15 lbs. 1 ounce

Head: 16.4 in

What does this mean? Well the growth chart puts her in the 90th percentile for length, 75th for weight and head circumference. Basically what all this means is that we got the green light to start her on rice cereal.

Other topics that were covered during the visit:
  • Her eczema has improved with the cream
  • Her development is on track- smiling, cooing, grabbing
  • She does not roll over yet
  • She does like to stand up
A note on that topic- I am pretty sure that the doctor did not believe me when I said that she liked to stand up. I think she thought that I was just being boastful. Then she had her on her back and grabbed Alex's arms and up she went into a standing position. The doctor's eyes went all big and she said that she never had seen a baby do that at 4 months old. She marveled at her strength and said that she would be sitting up in no time. So she can't roll over but she likes to stand. I want Alex to be off the charts in all her developmental stuff but she is her own person and has no interest in being on her belly- even if it is just to roll over on her back.

Oh, yeah and then there were Alex's shots- she had 4. We gave her Tylenol before we left and I think that helped because she did cry but not for very long. I think it was more traumatic for Wes and I. She was not her usual happy self yesterday afterwards. Her appetite was less and she was just unhappy. Our friend Amy came over and cuddled with her so she received some special attention. Today she is back to her happy self- and eating.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute little kissy-face in the picture! I noticed that she liked to stand up, but I wasn't sure if that was normal for her age or not.

Apparently I never went through much of a crawling phase. I did a lot more scooting - pushing myself around the room on my back. Sort of like upside-down crawling, I guess!

Maybe Alex will skip right to walking! Get ready to baby-proof!

Jana, Mark, Megan and Joey said...

What a cute picture, Alex is beautiful and has personality! Alex's developements sound just like Megan's, although Alex has her beat in pyhsical growth.

And Srah is right about the baby proofing, Alex will be mobile (in some form) sooner then you think.

Anonymous said...

I say screw the charts... we need to be pushing her down. Keep her a baby for longer! It has only been a few months but lately time is traveling so fast.... soon she will be sassing back to her parents and you will be thinking "i should have pushed her down and slowed the development"... wait, maybe that is crazy?!

carmen zoraida said...

no Ro, it is not crazy, I wish I had done it to the three of you. With Michael it worked for a while. Michele went on her own tune and Ro is still out of control and I have to push back. I say let's swaddle Alexandra until she is a year old

Anonymous said...

Or eighteen...