Thursday, August 28, 2008

A stroll down memory lane...

It has been a while since Alex has had a really bad nights sleep. Even when she was sick, she basically slept through the night but just needed some help dealing with congestion. She has never had a huge problem sleeping in her own bed, but lately it has been like clockwork... in bed at 8ish, up between 5:30 & 7. Last night was a blast from the past...

She started screaming for no good reason for the first time around 11... Michele rocked her for a while and put her back down. No big deal. An hour later, she is screaming bloody murder again. I rocked her for a little while and put her back down. Big deal! Scream... scream... scream. Okay, I says to myself, maybe just a little more rocking. Finally get her to go to sleep, but now I'm wide awake. So I read for a little while and, just as I turn out the light and snuggle in to doze off... scream... scream... scream!

So I did what I haven't had to do for quite a while... I got up and watched TV for a couple hours while I held her. She spent most of this time, half awake, half dreaming, fully slapping me in the face. Smack... smack... smack. Eventually I put her back in bed and she slept until around 4 when she needed a little more comforting from mama... I really hope this isn't the start of a trend.

On top of all this madness... I think I might be dragging Michele grudgingly toward my insanity. More often than I would like to admit, I sleepwalk... that is, half awake and stuck in a dream, I find myself doing the darnedest things. Going through the closet, cleaning dishes, searching for the baby in the sheets... you know, little slices of what the heck am I doing. Last night (I think somewhere between scream sessions one and two) I, half awake mind you, saw our baby slide into our room, wearing a hat, wave at me and crawl back out (kind of a Michigan J Frog deal). I know... I'm nuts. But it was so real to me that I apparently verbalized what I saw and prompted Michele to get out of bed with me and search for our erstwhile, chapeaued offspring. Only after a couple minutes of frantic looking did I wake up enough to peak in her bed and see her sound asleep.

Sorry Michele... I hope my crazy isn't too contagious.

3 comments:

Jen Marr said...

You guys must be exhausted! I hope you survived today. Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, that made me laugh out loud. I wish I had an excuse for my crazy!

Jana, Mark, Megan and Joey said...

Megan has had nights like that more frequently. 2 nights ago she was up for 3 1/2 in the middle of the night but then the next night she slept all the way through! Weird. And I hope holding your baby just for some sleep i habit forming, because I have had to do that recently.

I keep reading that babies Alex and Megan's age tend to have nightmares plus they are entering the stage where they know mom and dad are missing and they cry for comfort and to make sure that mom and dad will come back. I don't know but I feel your sleep deprived pain.