Wednesday, August 6, 2008

1 down, 34 to go


In spite of my virus, I started radiation today. Technically, I went yesterday but they just took some x-rays and no radiation was involved. Since that didn't count to my 35 session, today was really day 1.

The process goes like this-
I have a business card with a bar code on the back. The first step is to scan it in and then I head straight back to change into a gown. I recognized a guy from yesterday-starting to make friends already in the uni-sex locker room (don't worry, the locker room is separate from the changing rooms). Then I go to the treatment waiting room. From there, they call me back to the radiation room. On the table is my pre-made shell for my head and right arm (which is over my head). They adjust me on the table so my tattoos line up- all while rattling off some numbers like 99.5, 97 and 98....whatever those mean. Then the machine rotates around to one side and the therapist leave the room. The machine makes some noise as it shoots radiation. Then it rotates 180 degrees to shoot me from the other side. The therapist said they shoot from the side to even out the radiation effects on the skin....and so it doesn't shoot through major organs like my lungs. So nice of them to think about that. Then they come in, lower the table and throw (i mean literally here) my shell into a closet for use tomorrow. Easy peasy.

Yesterday and today, I was home sick so timing wasn't an issue. Tomorrow I have a meeting that I am going to be late for due to radiation...but pretty much this is the best thing I can do for myself so there is no decision to make. And some of the meetings are real drags so it is kind of great to have an excuse to be late.

Update on the little one- she woke up with a fever of 103.4 last night. We were worried because she should have been feeling better by now, so I called the doctor's office. She said to give her Tylenol right away and give her fluids. We were in the middle of a Motrin dose so that is part of the reason we freaked because she was medicated. Well the Tylenol seemed to do the trick and her fever broke. She has been more herself today and we have even seen some smiles. Hopefully tonight will go well because Wes didn't sleep at all last night. He is so busy taking care of his girls....hopefully he won't get one of those mystery fevers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad her fever's better!

How long does one radiation treatment last? It sounds pretty fast from the way you describe it!

Anonymous said...

That is a huge fever! I am glad it went down.


P.S. She is adorable.