Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sore legs, warm heart


Thank you to all that participated and supported me in the 5k. I felt a bit nervous prior to the race because I didn't want to let anyone down by not finishing. All the support that people gave me really made that fear evaporate prior to the race. There were so many people at the race I didn't even have a chance to talk to everyone personally. I really appreciate everyone who got up early in the cold to come out.

As for the race itself, we started out with a slow jog- partly to warm up and partly to look good at the start. The jogging only lasted about half a mile and then we walked. I walked with friends and it was a great opportunity to catch up. Thank you to Abby and Jana for making the walk go by quickly. There were girls all over the place because they were running for the group Girls on the Run. The group introduces exercise to young girls with female coaches. It was pretty neat to see everyone enjoying themselves. Well except for one lady that was taking the race super seriously. She came up behind us prior to the first mile and said "On your left" and apparently I was not moving fast enough out of her way ( I was walking and she was walking) so she repeated herself. She needed to get in front of us. The weirdest thing was at about the 2.5 mile mark I hear "On your left". That is right, it was this lady again. I don't know when she got behind us again but her urgency to get around us on the sidewalk had not decreased. We then jogged in the final part of the race to finish around 50 minutes. It was really a great race. Next year, we talked about running the whole thing. So ladies, start training!!!!

The race was followed by some food at our house. It was great to have people over and it pretty much was a big play date for the kids. I thought the day would be more stressful than it turned out. I was anxious with all the attention- my face was on people's back! But there was no reason for anxiety. My friends and family made me feel like the race was a great opportunity to get together. There wasn't a focus on whether the chemo girl could finish the race which was nice. And yeah, the chemo girl could and did finish the race and I wasn't even out of breathe...but my legs have sure been sore for the last couple days!

6 comments:

Jana, Mark, Megan and Joey said...

I'm so glad you mentioned the "Olympic athlete" who passed us not once but twice! I am still trying to figure out how a person could pass us twice.

And yes the 5k was the perfect excuse to visit with everyone. Can't wait for next year!

Anonymous said...

I like how you and Wes both said "...ladies, start training!"

I will start training now, i was 4 mins slower than last year!!!

The race was a great time and I really had fun getting some eats at your house... however I will have some comments to the race committee. It was not as well organized as last year!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Maybe I'll be able to make it next year!

carmen zoraida said...

I am still on the biggest hi! Never thought I could make it but anything
to honor the chemo girl. Nothing more exciting than seeing her face at the end of therun, and then Michael and his family and Robin and her Bob and all my beloved children that I knew when they were that, just children. Thank you for the opportunity to make me part of your lives.

Michelle Hutchinson said...

Sounds amazing. I wish I'd been there.

Tammi and Family said...

Perfect Day, Perfect Group, Perfect Love!! Looking forward to next year and hopefully every year after that!!