Saturday, May 10, 2008

The MRI and Chemo session #13


Yesterday I had the MRI and Chemo. First things first- MRI.
So as Wes mentioned I was a bit nervous because of the claustrophobia fear (and NO Clay Aiken has nothing to do with my happy place- he is so funny). Turns out that I had to lay down on my stomach with each breast in a box and head on a massage table- type rest. I was really pleased about that but let me step you through the process.
First you get changed into scrub pants and a hospital gown. Then you get and IV started for the magnetic fluid. They used the same vein that the blood sample, given to check for creatine, was used so she had no issues with my veins- I think that is a first. Then I was taken into the room. I laid down with my breasts in the boxes, arms above the head and face on the stand. The tech gave me ear plugs because of the noise caused by the machine. Then she said 25 to 30 minutes. No problem.
Test one: 30 seconds
She then came out and had to reposition me because the images weren't clear enough.
Start from the top:
Test one: 30 seconds
Test two: 20 seconds
Test three: 5 minutes
Test four: 2 minutes
Test five: 5 minutes
Test six: 2 minutes
Test seven: 4 minutes
Ok at this point I am thinking that 19 minutes of tests have been completed so this should be wrapping up soon...my arms were starting to ache.
Test eight: 3 minutes
Test nine: 5 minutes and I was to remain really still- Ok at this point I am thinking that this makes it 27 minutes....what is going on?
Test ten: 5 minutes- WHAT?
Test eleven: 2 and a half minutes- last one!!

The 25-30 minute estimate was not at all accurate and it really drove me nuts because I kept adding all the times in my head so I new that by the end I had 35 minutes of tests. But it was done and she said that she needed the extra time because she didn't want the metal clip that they inserted to indicate the location of the tumor to ruin the images so they had to do more to work behind the scenes.

I then changed and headed to the waiting room where I could tell by the look on Wes' face that he was worried. I looked at the clock and I had been back there for almost an hour and a half. We had 3 minutes to make my 1 o'clock chemo appointment.

Chemo wasn't really too exciting. I had the nurse from Scotland- Lynn so that was nice to listen to her accent. I think I was pretty relieved after the MRI that I spent a lot of time fighting sleep. I think I have been going for so long that some of the regulars that used to be there weekly no longer are...but I did see Jabba- she is looking good.

Three more sessions to go. I then have to figure out exactly when I start the additional 9 months of Herceptin. It is amazing what a difference one week will bring to my spirits. The fact that I have only 3 sessions and that the tumor is pretty much gone makes the next steps easier to handle. I am optimistic about the surgery and think that the lump that they are going to remove is really just the indicator clip that was placed in the tumor. I should hear from the surgeon this week to schedule a meeting based on the mammogram and MRI tests.

No comments: