Saturday, July 3, 2010

10 years...

Ten years ago today Michele and I started dating. That is, ten years ago today, we had our umpteenth date but it was different and we never again have been apart. We went to the movies, then to the bookstore, and then to have beers at Ashley's. Michele forgot her newly purchased books at the bar. There is a picture in my head of us sitting there drinking beer and laughing that seems like yesterday. But it wasn't yesterday, it was ten years ago.

After that night we were dating. We started our Tequila Friday tradition. We laughed, and hung out, and had fun. We went up north and I proposed. She said yes. We lived with Carmen to save money. We planned our tiny, odd wedding. I do... I do. We went to Hawaii. We bought a house. We pretended to be adults. We got pregnant. Cancer. And, two days later, a baby. Chemo, diapers, surgery, bottles, radiation, crying. The tumor gone. The baby grew. We suddenly had a toddler. Then it's ten years later. We are still pretending to be adults.

The picture in my head of us rosey cheeked and laughing at the bar seems an apt summary for the whole ten years. Because through it all we have made each other smile, laugh, and enjoy. So tonight we'll go to Ashley's and have a beer. I love you Michele, and I love pretending with you.

3 comments:

Robin said...

What sweet words! I am glad you guys are still hanging out!

Anonymous said...

OK, you made me tear up. Love growing up and old with you around.

Jana, Mark, Megan and Joey said...

Love that you admit that you are still pretending to be adults. Congrats you guys, you two really are perfect for each other. Plus Alex is kind of cute, so you're doing something right!