Friday, July 3, 2009

Vacation it ain't...

I have all next week off from work... but I am not on vacation. A couple months ago everyone in the company I work for received a pleasant and well written memo informing us that we would all be required to take a week off sometime before September, sans pay. Unpaid furlough they call it. "Sweet", I says to myself... another week off. Don't get paid, but we can figure it out. But...

Now, not only do I not have to work next week, I (for liability reasons I assume) am technically not allowed to work. No phone calls. No emails. No bar charts. The problem is that not being at least slightly engaged for a week will not only hurt the company, but more importantly will make my life hell upon return. So, in the interest of an equitable solutions for all involved parties, I have come up with a plan. Starting tomorrow and continuing through the entirety of next week I will only work under one of the following three conditions:
  1. In my basement, in my boxers: Nobody could accuse me of working if I am sitting in my basement with only my boxers covering my nether region. Hopefully most of this toil will take place between 3am & 5am when I am usually alone and bored.
  2. Wirelessly from someplace fun: Coffee shop, playground, bar... whatever. If I am sending an email while dangling upside down from a ladder at Jungle Java it hardly constitutes labor.
  3. With a beer/scotch in the hand not holding the mouse: Nuff said.
This is my plan. If you would like to help me be efficient next week, buy me a beer someplace fun and don't look down.

1 comment:

Elan Morgan said...

You are being featured on Five Star Friday!
http://www.fivestarfriday.com/2009/07/five-star-fridays-edition-61.html

PS. My word verification word was "cakier". This comment is now cakier than before!