Friday, July 31, 2009

Papa...

I think that my parenting style probably comes across as nonchalance. A curious indifference delivered with a watchful eye. I try to let her feel out the world for herself. To learn the lessons that life has to teach. To let her bump her head, when a bump is the best tool to teach. I feel compelled to compel her to independence. I think about how my actions today will bear fruit when she is 5, or 14, or 30... when she is a teenager, a student, a mother.

Then there are times like just now... nap time. She knows it's nap time, and had no problem with the story, the song, the crib until I left. Then she stood in her bed sobbing, "Papa, papa, papa." She knew she had to sleep, wanted to sleep, but just needed this one time to fall asleep in my arms. My instinct is to leave her. To let her figure it out. And I did... for a while. And then that voice creeped in the back of my head saying, "how much longer will she want to sleep in your arms?"

So I picked her up, and she drifted off, and I may have ruined her... but that's okay, because she ruined me a long time ago and I will always have those five minutes with her in my arms.

3 comments:

carmen zoraida said...

well done and well said Wes. Those five minutes will linger and when you are a grandfather you we'll relive the sweetness of your 5 minutes again and again.

Amy said...

Wes you truly are a wondeful Dad. I know that you believe you are the lucky one but Miss Alexandra is also the lucky one.

Doesn't it tear at your heart when they cry for you? Fortunately and unfortunately it doesn't last forever and those precious times become a memory reserved for the future.

Nice posting you made me smile.

Cheryl said...

Very poetic, Wes, I like it.