Thursday, September 25, 2008

Feel your boobies...



Nine months ago today I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Wow, it seems like way more time has passed than 9 months. Pregnancy was a breeze compared to the last 9 months!!! Since I am cancer free and healthy, I do need to reiterate the importance of having caught my cancer early. At 31, I did not think that I needed to worry about breast exams. Sure, my doctors would ask if I did breast exams regularly and I would admit that I did not. They would always reply that it was a good thing to do. I agreed and said to myself, I really need to remember to do that. Luckily for me, my tumor ached- most don't. So in Mid-November last year, I did a breast exam because I had some soreness in my right breast. There it was, a good size lump that ended up as Stage II cancer. If it had not been found, I wouldn't have had a mammogram for 9 more years. All the while, the cancer would have hung out and most likely spread. I know I am a survivor because I caught it early. The type of cancer I had was aggressive and would have found a way to grow. So my advice to everyone- regardless of age or family history- touch your boobies. If you don't know how to perform a self breast exam-this should help - Breast self exam -You could be saving your life!!!

2 comments:

carmen zoraida said...

And I am heading to the doctor for the first time to have my bobbies checked next Tuesday. Thank you Michele.tqfew

Michelle Hutchinson said...

thank you sweetheart.