Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hello? Is this thing on?

Hey kids... it's been a while. I know this because people keep saying, "What's up with the blog... it's been a while?".

Here's the thing... I ran into a little problem. At first I thought it was writer's block, that amorphous and difficult to wrangle maybe a real issue maybe not deal you get when you can't think of a single word to write (let alone the long rambly stuff I enjoy). But it was more than that. I started to freak out a little. I got the cold sweats and could feel my heart beating in my chest whenever I sat down to convey the cuteness that is life with Alex and Michele. I started to panic a little. It was no fun.

Here's the why... I started worrying more and more about what people thought. Will this aunt be upset if I tell an Alex story involving that aunt. Will people think I'm overselling Alex's adorablosity. Will friends get upset because I did, or didn't, write about an event. Part of me thought I was crazy, but then it happened... some close friends took offense at an attempt at story telling and decided not to be friends anymore. Suddenly I was staring up at the cliff I had been perched at the edge of for so long.

Last week we had to take Alex to the urgent care. She had woken from a nap and was bleeding from the ear. It was scary. The doctor asked how long it had been since she had her tubes in... and our first instinct was to check the blog. It turns out that it isn't just the ramblings of a madman... it's the chronicle of Alex's life and our life with her. It's not about my fear or what you all think... it's the way that we look back and remember and revel. It's the book of us. And it isn't over.

So, here's the deal. I am going to stop stopping. I am going to write on this blog and brag on my baby and love on my wife and not give a damn what you think. If you are one who is prone to judge, compare, or get angry you are no longer invited. If you just want to see cute pics and read poorly written stories about our boring lives, then you are welcome.

6 comments:

srah said...

So what the heck happened with the bleeding ears? It turned out to be nothing? But how can you just bleed from your ears for no reason?

I enjoy your blog and hope you will blog more! I do not get upset when you don't mention me. :)

amy said...

Yipppeeeee!!!!!! Please feel free to offend me daily. I love your blog and enjoy reading the daily events of your lovely family.

Lindsay said...

Not poorly written- I love checking out what you're up to!

Cheryl said...

Yay, glad you're back!

Jana, Mark, Megan and Joey said...

Glad you're back! And people suck sometimes and that it not your fault. Can't wait to see more pictures of Alex's smile.

Michelle Hutchinson said...

Glad you are back too. I understand how you feel about your blog. I also worry that I'll forget to mention someone or something, or have more photos of my family vs. Ryan's. I think this blog is ultimately for you and it's a privilege for me to be able to read it.