Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bourbon...

After spending a few relaxing days at the cabin hiking and napping, we headed to Lexington, KY for a couple days. Our main activity was Bourbon tours/tastings.

We learned a lot about bourbon, most of which I will not bore you with. But, we saw the grains (at least 51% of which must be corn), and the yeast (closely guarded family recipes in most places), and the water (largely from fresh water springs). Cook all these things up and splash them together in a huge tank and you get Alex's favorite part...


As the yeast eats up the sugar from the grain it burps out gas and bubble, bubble, bubble. From there it is distilled, and distilled again, at which point it is clear and potent (white lighning, white dog, moonshine) Then it's loaded in to new, charred (as in burnned with a hot, hot, flame), ash barrels.
Then they go to the rick house to age for... however long it takes.
Some tours/facilities were nicer than others, but it was pretty cool. We did also manage to bring some home...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally, Rip Van Winkle.!!!! I enjoyed your mea culpa intensely and immensely. I remember the first time I used that word, Michele , just a child told me that that was a totally low class way to speak. So I am glad she continues correcting her most beloved people. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

So did Alexandra like the bubbles. I love her voice in the background talking about the bigger ones - so I assume she was in love with the bubbles.