Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bound for an exotic land...

Michele is at the airport headed for Iowa. She is just going overnight (some worky, car interior thingy) and will be home late tomorrow. She used to travel for work all the time. It was normal. Then we grew a baby, grew and dismissed a tumor, and settled in a bit. Now it feels anything but normal. Which leads me to this story...

A couple months ago Michele was offered a chance to interview for a three year assignment to work overseas. We have always said that this is something we are down for. Finite change of pace and a lifetime of stories. We weaved tales over glasses of wine about our crazy ex-pat lives in Germany or Brazil or Mexico. They offered Korea.

The timing is perfect because Alex would be back in time to start school. When will we ever be so free again? I couldn't work (no visa), but is that really a problem? I'm lazy anyway. But Korea?

We had to think and talk about it for a couple weeks. And do you know what finally made up my mind? Not the isolation, or the language barrier, or the smog, food, or people. It was that Michele would have to travel, a lot, to other parts of that part of the world. I could go anywhere, live anywhere, with Michele and Alex... but I have no desire to live with less Michele.

So she passed, and we are mitten-bound for the forseeable future. But, rest assured, if Australia comes knocking we are out of here.

4 comments:

carmen zoraida said...

What a tender loving poet you are, Wes!

srah said...

I also passed up the chance to go to Korea for work once. Poor Korea. I don't regret it, but I now feel a little sad for Korea, getting rejected twice. :)

Ro said...

Iowa is an awesome place....

Mom & Tom said...

I the B&B Innkeeper would be LOST WITHOUT Alex to drive the boat, play in the sand, eat my Waffles , Strawberrys, & have ice cream in Leland. I agree Korea is the loser. If you all are to go else where for work, God will put you in the right country.

We love ya, Dr & PK