Monday, June 8, 2009

Got the fever...

I was called away from work this morning (oh darn) to pick up a feverish Alex from daycare. Poor little thing was happily enjoying music time and rockin' a 101 temperature when I got there... she didn't want to leave. Now, I finally got her to go to sleep at 5pm... her nap time is scheduled for 11:30am... ugh. We had to sit in the doctor's office waiting room for an hour, but at least it produced a cute story...

While waiting Alex was still in a pretty good mood in spite of being a little oven. She was all over, checking out the fish, playing with the toys, reading books. She sat down at the little table and played with some blocks. After a while she decided to throw the blocks on the floor. "Uh oh." she said. A packed room full of mothers giggled and stared at me, wondering what I would do. My end of the dialog went something like this, "Alexandra, 'ugh oh' is generally reserved for when things fall accidentally, not when you throw them. Now please get off the chair, pick the blocks up, and put them back on the table." Now the moms were giggling at me... with smirks that said "if it were that easy our kids would not be tearing down that bookshelf and making kindling out of it." And then to everyone's shock (except me of course), Alex got up, picked up the blocks, put them on the table and then politely asked me for help getting back in the chair (elp)... and threw in the sign for please, unprompted.

If I would have had cards that said: Wes Harrington, Baby Whisperer, I would have had ten new clients. Man I love how that baby makes me seem competent sometimes.

3 comments:

carmen zoraida said...

what a good and proud papa you deserve to be!!!!!

Jana, Mark, Megan and Joey said...

Don't they just do the cutest things at times. For the record I am not shocked that Alex knew what to do. You and Michele are great with Alex and she has always been able to listen and follow directions. Hope she feels better soon.

Amy said...

Way to go - I was wondering if you could help me with my son? I have been trying to get him to listen to me and do as I ask for 28 years and I have not been able to succeed.

How much do you charge per hour?

You guys are excellent.